Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Long time, no talk, and there's a good reason for that...


Baby Boy K, arriving 08.20.2013

I found out that was I was pregnant less than two months after running the Baystate Marathon. So after taking a marathon-induced running hiatus, I did run 100 miles between Thanksgiving and Christmas, just as a personal challenge to keep running. Soon thereafter, I just felt out of love with running. This seems to happen to me every year - I have a 1-2 month time period where I just don't want to do it. I do love running, but not in a way that makes me want to run 30+ miles a week when I'm not training for something. I am goal-oriented, so when the goal disappears (i.e. races), I lose my focus.

I also agreed to teach 16-18 hours a week of fitness classes this semester - which in retrospect, wasn't my best idea. It is incredibly punishing to my body to essentially workout for 4+ hours a day. But I am stubborn, so I did it anyway. I currently have 3 weeks left of teaching, and it can't come soon enough. It was hard enough at peak physical condition, but carrying around some extra pounds (and all the other things that come with pregnancy) makes it especially trying. By the time I found my spark to run again on a regular basis, I don't have the energy for it after a long day at the gym. When the weekends come my body is begging me for a break, so usually I feel like running isn't the best decision. Another downside of spending long hours on hard gym floors? Shin splints. In my 5+ years of running, I have never experienced them, but after a few hours of step training and jumping? I have to come home and ice my legs every night.
Pregnant fitness ninja - 21 weeks

I did manage to run 3 races in March on 3 consecutive weekends - a 5K, 10K, and 15K. My own little race trifecta! It was fun and I'm glad I did it. They were all near personal worsts, but that doesn't really matter when you are gestating a human. I did run the entirety of all three races. I also felt like I had to pee the entire time I was running all three - there was even a desperate crawling-in-the-woods pee break at mile 6 of the 15K. Pregnancy is a pain sometimes! It seems like these days I could pee 2 seconds before running, and without fail, I will feel like I have to go again with a mile of my runs. 

Also, I found that I am a terrible pregnant race runner because I have a really hard time holding myself back from going all out. I would find myself desperate to pass people, and inevitably pushing myself too hard. That desire to 'compete' on some level doesn't just magically go away! And for this reason I decided that the 15K will be my longest pregnancy race distance. I registered for a half marathon in May (we registered before I got pregnant) but I will be dropping back to the 5-mile race that day. I don't trust myself to not overdo it! It is SO hard to watch my husband train for it though and know that I won't be doing it too. 


St Patrick's Day 5K - 26:08 (17 weeks) - SO COLD!


Malden 10K - 56:xx (18 weeks) - obligatory bathroom mirror shot. Also, I missed a turn (unmarked! grr) and ran an extra 1/4 mile in this race. D'oh!


Boston Tune-up 15K - 1:29:xx (19 weeks) - 17 minutes slower than last year. Ouch. Also, I look bigger in the photo than I do now at 22 weeks! Note to self, NOT a flattering top...


I am very fortunate to have had a very uncomplicated pregnancy to this point. At last check, I've gained a little less than 10 lbs. and I am still comfortable running, and I plan on continuing as long as I can. I recently read that 72% of pregnant exercisers give birth before or on their due dates, as opposed to 48% of pregnant non-exercisers. We are moving in the same month I am due - yay military life! - so for many reasons, I really need this little boy to come on time! I plan on getting a support belt when I need one so I can run as long as possible. My fitness classes end in a few weeks, and I'll have much more time to dedicate to my first love - running!

For the 3 of you that read this, I promise this is not turning into a pregnancy/mommy blog. You know me better than that! I've already registered for my BOB and everyone knows it's at the top of my wish list!

I can't wait to meet my little guy. And on a related note, I really miss wine. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment