Tuesday, June 11, 2013

RWP - Week 29 Edition

There isn't a lot to talk about in the way of running this week. There's also an explanation for that. I'll get to that later. I only had two workouts last week - yoga on Monday and a 3-mile run on Wednesday. The good news from this week: I passed the 2-hour glucose challenge on Tuesday with flying colors - and it didn't make me feel ill at all! Whew.

Late on Thursday afternoon, I decided I wanted to go out for a run. My husband had set out in one direction for a 6 mile run, so I decided I'd go the opposite direction and get in 2 or 3 miles. About .3 miles into this run, on a street I frequently traverse, I tripped on an uneven sidewalk and fell in a spectacular fashion. I wasn't going very fast (uphill and pregnant = basically speedwalking) but I flew forward and and turned and landed on my left side. My forearm and knee took the brunt of the fall. I was pretty stunned and just rolled onto my back and laid there for about 30 seconds to catch my breath.

Sidenote: There was a college-aged girl walking toward me who saw all of this happen, and walked right by me without even acknowledging me or even making eye contact. I mean, seriously? I didn't expect her to be able to do much, but if I saw a pregnant woman trip and fall, I would at least ask if she was okay. Cold! I hope she's never in my position, because it wasn't a good feeling. 

So, I got up, dusted off, and walked back to my house. My arm, elbow, hand and knee were pretty scraped up, but otherwise, I think it just shook me up. My husband got home later and we decided I should probably call my doctor, even though I didn't fall on my stomach. I called and talked to the doctor on call, and they asked me to come in. We ended up spending the next 4 hours at L&D for monitoring. Baby was totally fine - steady heartrate and spend a good portion of the night using the fetal monitors as kicking/punching targets! On a positive note, we got a preview of the facilities and the staff, who were all incredibly nice and accommodating. We were released to go home around midnight - and I thanked them, but told them I didn't want to see them again until baby K is born!

We had friends coming into town to visit on Friday, so I used the weekend to recover and not think about exercising. We did a lot of walking and pastry-eating and it was glorious.

The doctor on call was also a runner himself, and really encouraged me to keep going if I felt like it. I am still a little sore and bruised (I should probably visit the chiropractor, I'm having some upper back pain) so I will possibly revisit the idea of running in a couple days. My husband is very nervous about me running now (rightly so, I guess!), and feels like that I shouldn't run unattended anymore. He will run with me, so maybe I'll take him up on that offer.

I also bought a 15 lb kettlebell last week, so I'll use it more for my workouts. We have set of Powerblock adjustable dumbbells, but they are very large and I'm often finding them awkward to maneuver around my belly.

So, no running photo this week. But I promise I will make up for it next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment